Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Just so you don't think we're perfect



Here you have it... Luke Francis Schafer is NOT perfect.  And neither is his mommy for leaving him unattended even for those few moments.  Unfortunately you cannot hear the sirens from the highway that seemed to chime in at just the right time in the scolding.  I've told Luke that the police come when people "Break the Law". I dub the police threat "hyperbolic discretionary parental expression" - kind of like telling kids there is a Santa Claus, but it does weigh on my conscience ever so slightly.

Similarly, I get a twinge of guilt when I say, "Only on paper.  We only draw on paper." As I pointed out in this specific instance yet again.  Especially considering my artistic inclinations and advocacy for creativity,  I think Elise, you're lying to the kid.  You know full well that crayons can be used on canvas, on eggs, on stones, on candles, and other countless mediums to produce a stunning and beautiful effect.

I found soon after this video and putting Luke down for his nap that crayon works on carpet as well.  Who knows where else I'll find the versatile blue wax tomorrow.  Nonetheless the mess cleaned up and I chalked the display up as normal developmental behavior for a 22 month old.

Augustine too is NOT perfect.  His otherwise adorable and pleasant demeanor has been marred by the appearance of his first diaper rash.  Nothing too serious and now that I've got experience I can do my best to eradicate it before it gets out of control.  Besides, it's probably my fault and an indication that we need to "strip" the cloth diapers with a couple extra hot washes to get rid of any soap residue which may be causing the irritation.

My beloved husband Pete, as rockin' awesome cool as he is, also is NOT perfect.  In fact, he is holding an important family treasure hostage...
Although Pete won the rights to the Gless Family Fantasy Baseball Champion trophy last year it never seemed sensible to cart the thing to Maryland and then back to Ohio.  The honorable statuary constructed from Pete's grandfather's standing ash tray and other nostalgic memorabilia sat inconspicuously at Grandma Schafer's for at least the past 8 months.  Pete "discovered" it there when he was picking Luke up just over a week ago while I was at work.  As you can see, it now sits prominently displayed in our dining room even though Pete came in near dead last in this year's competition.  Apparently, the rightful owner of the trophy resides in Florida.  Perhaps by ratting my husband out to such a broad audience will encourage the REAL champion to claim their prize and expedite its removal???

Last but not least, disputing popular belief, I, Elise Schafer, am NOT perfect.  I forgot to set out the name tag basket at RCIA for work last night, for goodness sake! AND I don't floss my teeth everyday!  (Although, I've started flossing more frequently given Luke's interest in the practice).  On top of all this,  I'm keeping secrets from my husband regarding his Christmas gift and have supported and implemented the "if it's yellow, let it mellow" philosophy for our household in attempts to conserve water!!!

I'm sure there are plenty of other shortcomings that people could add to the list. Or start generating a critical list of their own less than perfect tendencies.  When it comes down to it though, it is our imperfections that make us human.  That's not to say that we shouldn't strive for greatness, but rather take a step back and realize that those accidents, insufficiencies, mistakes, or blemishes in life provide countless opportunities for us to grow and learn. 

I'll be posting again soon with the news about my job and the vital statistics of Augustine's upcoming doctor's appointment but couldn't help sharing the little challenges of the day.

Peace for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment